Skip to main content

The Shape of Things To Come



My modeling & painting activities will be on hold for a week or two. Aside from some home renovations, last-minute out-of-town trips and another broadcast campaign at work (aka more late nights at the office) most of my hobby stuff -- wargaming miniatures, scale models, toys, etc. -- have been temporarily boxed and put in storage. The good news is that along with the home renovations, I've contracted the foreman and head carpenter to make me a better modelling workbench and storage system in the garage as well as a new 5ft x 3 ft gaming table.

I was tempted to try a bigger table but most of my existing terrain mats were configured for that size and a change would render them useless. As of this June, these are the projects I'm in the midst of and which would be on the priority list as soon as my stuff gets freed from their temporary confinement.

Here's the list in order of priority:

28mm People of the Woods

-- Made almost exclusively from Mageknight figures, the army features ent-like monsters, dryads, forest elementals, firbolg (Mageknight Trolls) as well as the fairy folk, this army just got some new recruits in the form of some Gormiti figures. The biggest hurdle now is to decide which ruleset to use them for. I have AD&D Battlesystem but the articles I've read about Hordes of the Things and De Bellis Antiquitatis have piqued my interest. I'm scouting ebay for a reasonably priced copy of Hott and DBA and may buy the rules soon.

Here's a roll call of the figures I have at hand:

  • MK Wood Golem x6 (3 painted)
  • MK Troll Brawler x6 (3 painted)
  • MK Troll Shaman x 2
  • MK Troll Chieftain
  • MK Thorn Maidens x5 (painted)
  • MK Tanglewood Spirits x3 (painted)
  • MK Living Elemental x1
  • MK Pooka x8
  • MK Sprites x3
  • Gormiti Ents x4
And here's what I want to add:
  • GW Dryads x6
  • D&D Treant (from Giants of Legend)
  • MK Oak Mage x3
  • MK Oak Warrior x3

1/72 Warmaster Carthaginian Army

-- I need to finish a set of elephants and one set each of Ancient Spanish cavalry & Celtic cavalry before I can start working on the stand bases.Plus, I haven't painted up the command figures I plan to use as generals and heroes. These will be mounted on 1.25 round bases. Majority of these figures are from Hat Industrie with a few boxes of Zvezda thrown in for good measure. These are the units already painted:

Painted:

  • Spanish Scutarii
  • Spanish Caetratti
  • Balearic Slingers
  • North African & Libyan Heavy Infantry
  • Numidian Light, Unarmored Infantry
  • Lusitani, Celtiberian & Celt Warriors
  • North African Noble Cavalry
  • Numidian Light Cavalry
  • North African & Libyan Light, Unarmored Infantry
Unpainted:
  • Spanish Cavalry
  • War Elephants
  • more North African & Libyan Heavy Infantry
  • Command stands & figures
  • Celtic Cavalry

1/72 Warmaster Republican Roman Army

-- with the velites out of the way, I'm getting the legion, the roman cavalry and artillery as well as the Italian allies assembled, primed and based. A thread at TMP has made me decide to make each legion unit ( 3 stands as per WM) a stand of Hastati, a stand of Princeps and a stand of Triarii.

Painted:

  • Velites
  • Celtic Mercenaries

Unpainted:

  • Republican Romans Princeps, Triarii, Hastati
  • Although these were less numerous, I have 3 flavors of Cavalry ( Hat, Zvezda & Italeri)
  • Roman Catapults
  • Italian Allied Foot
  • Italian Allied Cavalry
  • Command stands & figures
  • Celts & Gallic warbands

1/72 Middle- Earth Warmaster Armies

-- Caesar's fantasy line as well as matters of budget have made me look into 1/72 as a feasible scale for making large Middle-Earth armies for mass battles. A query at TMP provided a lot of suggestions for figure choices in that scale. I haven't made a final decision though on which figures to use but will post updates soon. I've already ordered boxes of the orcs and dwarves from Hannants and they may soon be the first of my 1/72 LOTR armies.

Comments

  1. Hi,

    Nice to see there are wargamers and modelers in the Philippines. I'm in Bangladesh but I will be spending time in the Philippines in the future for business. What is the wargaming scene like?

    I really like the centurion on horse back which you have in your banner good job. Some of your Spanish seem to be suffering from spear droop. You may want to replace those spears with piano wire. BTW, have you tried 'the dip' for shading minis? Quick and effective.

    I'm into 28mm Napoleonics (In The Grand Manner rule set which is like General de Brigade), 10mm War of the Spanish Succession, 1/600th modern aircraft and most everything else.

    My blog is here

    http://www.reinforcementsbypost.com/wordpress

    Cheers

    Neil

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Neil,

    Thanks for your comments. I may not replace them spears yet cuz I'm rushing to finish all the other models and probably host a game or two here with my new gaming table:) And thanks for the tip on the dip. Pictures I've seen have me sold. But, I'm still on the lookout for a comparable product that's locally available.

    Well, it's pretty lonely here in terms of miniature wargaming. WHB,WH40K, Warmachine/Hordes & Heroscape have a small following here, centered mainly in Metro Manila and composed mainly of young adults. I'm not aware of any historical miniature gaming groups actively promoting the hobby but CCGs, CMGs and boardgames have a far larger audience.

    Drop me a line when you're in town.

    Cheers,

    Jay

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

1/72 Numidians

I've been nursing a bum foot since Sunday and worked on these during the afternoons. While casually surfing for horse references, I discovered a new, exciting and tremendously complex thing -- Equine Color!  Ever since I was given a book written by Sheperd Paine with a chapter on horses, I was intrigued. Only when I attempted to do research on the Numidian horsemen & their mounts did I realize how complex horse color is. Presented here are a few work-in-progress pictures. I still have a lot of touchups to do as well as texturing the bases and flocking until I can call this done. But for idly playing with them while making moronic hoofbeat sounds, they pretty much suffice. I'm pretty happy about the way the greys and the bays turned out but I'm still at a loss how to do really red chestnuts. Among the pictures, you'll find a sample of a really badly-done attempt at a chestnut with a really red coat & mane.  I may post an article here soon about the information I

WIP 1:72 Uruk-hai Pikemen

Painting up the Fighting Uruk-hai armed with pikes and fighting in phalanx formation. 1:72 Dark Alliance half-orcs.

Major General Tremorden Rederring's Colonial-era Wargames Page

A bit of nostalgia here. I'm gearing up for a weekend of working on my wargame table and was surfing for inspiration. Happily, I rediscovered Major General Tremorden Rederring's Colonial-era Wargames at the Wayback Machine. This wargaming group's been a source of inspiration ever since I discovered the wonderful world of miniature wargaming. Just look at that picture above and tell me you're not impressed. WOW! was all I could think off when I saw it. The page has since given its last huzzah and I don't know what's become of the group, but I'm sure I'll be rereading the material they still have archived. A veritable treasure chest of miniature gaming gems, the page embodied the FUN side of miniature gaming, neither taking itself too seriously nor scrimping on the joys of the hobby and its subsidiary hobbies/crafts. It's a pity if such a wonderful resource and such a huge contribution to the hobby is lost. I discovered the page waaaay back