Skip to main content

1/72 Italian Allied Cavalry

Here's another set from Hat Industrie (Set 8054 Punic Wars Italian Ally Cavalry) that I'll be adding to my growing Carthaginian Army as well as the opposing Roman Republican Army. The horses also benefited from my less than scholarly research on painting ancient warhorses. The horses are sculpted with armor for their faces (a chamfron), decorative breastplates (poitrail or peytral) and no saddles nor cloths since they were known to have ridden bareback.
Plastic Soldier Review identifies some of the spear-armed & shieldless riders as Samnites (the figure with a cuirass decorated with three discs) while the others are representative of generic Oscan speaking tribes. The Samnites were composed of at least four tribes: the Pentri, the Caraceni, the Caudini and the Hirpini and later may have been joined by the Frentani. The other figures represent the other allied Oscans such as Apulians, Lucani and Brutii.
Warriors such as these served both Carthage and Rome. They could also be fielded solely as Samnites fighting Rome during the Samnite Wars. The army of Carthage relied almost entirely on mercenaries and allies to fill its ranks and recruited light horse cavalry such as these from much of the ancient Mediterranean world, including parts of Italy not under the control of Rome. These riders were employed heavily during Hannibal's campaigns in Italy with many proving to be effective and trustworthy troops. However, riders from these same tribes and peoples also served with the Roman army, providing the Socii --Rome's Italian military confederates, often referred to as "Latin allies." These allies continued to form an essential part of a Roman army's line-up for over a century.

The figures are based individually on 40mm x 20mm stands for Warmaster. Each cavalry unit will have 3 riders to represent it with each rider facing the 20mm edge. I'll be texturing the bases as soon as I finish another box of these models.



Comments

  1. Very nice indeed! I feel an urge coming on: must get going on Republican Romans. However, I need to finish my Sassanians first, and then maybe the Successors, and maybe then...

    Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks! I know the feeling...I have boxes of projects with models in different stages of completion.m Often, I find myself switching from one project to another then back again.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

1/72 Numidians

I've been nursing a bum foot since Sunday and worked on these during the afternoons. While casually surfing for horse references, I discovered a new, exciting and tremendously complex thing -- Equine Color!  Ever since I was given a book written by Sheperd Paine with a chapter on horses, I was intrigued. Only when I attempted to do research on the Numidian horsemen & their mounts did I realize how complex horse color is. Presented here are a few work-in-progress pictures. I still have a lot of touchups to do as well as texturing the bases and flocking until I can call this done. But for idly playing with them while making moronic hoofbeat sounds, they pretty much suffice. I'm pretty happy about the way the greys and the bays turned out but I'm still at a loss how to do really red chestnuts. Among the pictures, you'll find a sample of a really badly-done attempt at a chestnut with a really red coat & mane.  I may post an article here soon about the information I

WIP 1:72 Uruk-hai Pikemen

Painting up the Fighting Uruk-hai armed with pikes and fighting in phalanx formation. 1:72 Dark Alliance half-orcs.

Major General Tremorden Rederring's Colonial-era Wargames Page

A bit of nostalgia here. I'm gearing up for a weekend of working on my wargame table and was surfing for inspiration. Happily, I rediscovered Major General Tremorden Rederring's Colonial-era Wargames at the Wayback Machine. This wargaming group's been a source of inspiration ever since I discovered the wonderful world of miniature wargaming. Just look at that picture above and tell me you're not impressed. WOW! was all I could think off when I saw it. The page has since given its last huzzah and I don't know what's become of the group, but I'm sure I'll be rereading the material they still have archived. A veritable treasure chest of miniature gaming gems, the page embodied the FUN side of miniature gaming, neither taking itself too seriously nor scrimping on the joys of the hobby and its subsidiary hobbies/crafts. It's a pity if such a wonderful resource and such a huge contribution to the hobby is lost. I discovered the page waaaay back