Skip to main content

Nexus Steel Heroes 2



The box and artwork have a very 80's feel. The box illustration is highly evocative of the way Battletech axrylic illustrations were made then, with broad strokes and minimal suggestion of detail. As you can see on the box, at least three companies seem to have owned or own the line: Atlantic, Nexus and now Italeri. i also know that EM4 carries these figures.

The painting above shows the mech scale seemingly different from the stated scale of 1/500 though as far as i can tell though. I'm basing my thoughts on the figures seen near the foreground, assuming these are 6 foot men. But that's the nice thing about sci-fi and fantasy! You can tell the rivet counters to chill:)





Inside, you get a packet of 6 hex slotta bases, a sprue of robots and another sprue of weapons. You get two large humanoid models of the same type, a smaller pair of humanoid mechs and one "chicken" walker type. Plastic's sturdy and crisp. Reminds me of the old warhammer plastic models, but with chunkier parts. Plus, the figures detach easily from the sprues. I found some parts easier to just twist off rather using my sprue sidecutter. The feet have pegs that fit into the slotta base well.




 The weapons could be mixed and matched without glue thru pegs and holes although I found the rocket arrays too loose to stay in place. The weapons look nice but I found the number of combinations lacking. Some look good on specific models while the other dont.



Here are some weapons combinations.






And here are some scale comparisons. From left to right is a 20mm figure, followed by a 25mm figure, then a large 28-30mmk figure and finally a 28mm figure. I dont own any 15mm figure but I guess you coulod eyeball the scale using the 20mm figure.







I'm not yet sure how I'll be using these mechs but aside from doing the obvious mechwarrior gaming, I think they could be combat androids for the said scales above. I like the look of the chicken walker but the weapons may need changing.






More on these fellas soon!

Comments

  1. Hi, I've just given you a Leibster Blog Award.

    http://20mmgamer.blogspot.co.nz/2012/11/good-afternoon-steve-fine-fellow-behind.html

    If you chose to accept it, then you're to award five other blogs the same honour!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Thanks! Let me mosey down your page and check out what the Leibster is:) Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks good - I bought a box of these, hoping to use them as Titans for Epic 40k.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

1/72 Numidians

I've been nursing a bum foot since Sunday and worked on these during the afternoons. While casually surfing for horse references, I discovered a new, exciting and tremendously complex thing -- Equine Color!  Ever since I was given a book written by Sheperd Paine with a chapter on horses, I was intrigued. Only when I attempted to do research on the Numidian horsemen & their mounts did I realize how complex horse color is. Presented here are a few work-in-progress pictures. I still have a lot of touchups to do as well as texturing the bases and flocking until I can call this done. But for idly playing with them while making moronic hoofbeat sounds, they pretty much suffice. I'm pretty happy about the way the greys and the bays turned out but I'm still at a loss how to do really red chestnuts. Among the pictures, you'll find a sample of a really badly-done attempt at a chestnut with a really red coat & mane.  I may post an article here soon about the information I

WIP 1:72 Uruk-hai Pikemen

Painting up the Fighting Uruk-hai armed with pikes and fighting in phalanx formation. 1:72 Dark Alliance half-orcs.

Major General Tremorden Rederring's Colonial-era Wargames Page

A bit of nostalgia here. I'm gearing up for a weekend of working on my wargame table and was surfing for inspiration. Happily, I rediscovered Major General Tremorden Rederring's Colonial-era Wargames at the Wayback Machine. This wargaming group's been a source of inspiration ever since I discovered the wonderful world of miniature wargaming. Just look at that picture above and tell me you're not impressed. WOW! was all I could think off when I saw it. The page has since given its last huzzah and I don't know what's become of the group, but I'm sure I'll be rereading the material they still have archived. A veritable treasure chest of miniature gaming gems, the page embodied the FUN side of miniature gaming, neither taking itself too seriously nor scrimping on the joys of the hobby and its subsidiary hobbies/crafts. It's a pity if such a wonderful resource and such a huge contribution to the hobby is lost. I discovered the page waaaay back