I discovered J.R.R. Tolkien and The Lord of the Rings in the early 80's as a student at an exclusive Catholic school run by Jesuits. It was prompted by a stage play that adapted "The Hobbit" as well as the trilogy into a musical. Here, Frodo, Sam, Pippin and Merry join Gandalf, Aragorn, Boromir, Thorin and company plus a solo Legolas as they seek the treasure of Smaug for different reasons. As the quest progresses they are hunted by 9 Ring Wraiths, a lost Frodo wins a riddle game against Gollum as well as a magical ring, and get rescued by Gwaihir. A shaky start I know, but it did lead to my parents giving me the books as a christmas present. I hungrily dove into it. Suffice it to say, I discovered high fantasy and a world that continues to enthrall me all these years. Which brings me to my latest project in miniature -- the armies of Middle-Earth in 1/72 scale. I was prompted to explore the idea when Caesar Miniatures released a fantasy line in 1/72. Previously, I had b...
I love those Ultima Ratio Afghans! Some of the poses are a little wonky and the guy laying down is almost useless. That being said the models have crisp clear detail and take paint very well. They are well worth the money.
ReplyDeleteI wish the caesar US infantry sets had more balanced weapon loadouts. You really have to get a separate line to get the 240 teams and saw gunners.