Skip to main content

Making Middle Earth in 1/72: The Elves of Mirkwood

After much consideration, I've decided to use Miniart's Late Roman Infantry as the core models for my Mirkwood Elves. the figures are sculpted wearing a tunic over trousers, with some in scale or mail armor. A simple conversion with putty cloaks and hoods over the heads should do the trick in making them look more "woodsy." (Figure scan above is from PSR)

I like the fact that the armor has a very "dark age" feel and that not all the figures wore any, perfect for depicting the lightly armed & mixed warriors of Mirkwood. Some of the figures are armed with the Dark Age Roman Spatha, a longer sword popular in this period, as well as a variety of spears and javelins. Each set has 8 archers (short bowmen -- perfect for Mirkwood since it was the Lorien elves who used longbows) in two poses which would again just require a putty cloak with a hood over the head. The set has a mixture of shields, both of medium size and of large, oblong ones.

During the war against Melkor, the elves of Oropher were lightly armed with only weapons of the chase and hunt. During the first assault on Mordor, Oropher rashly led a reckless charge in which he was slain along with two-thirds of his troops. Rule of the Silvan Elves and field command of their remaining strength passed to Oropher's son Thranduil, the father of Legolas.

" The ruling class of the Elves of Mirkwood were descended from the Sindarin branch of the Teleri, rather than the Silvan Elves."

This mingling of Silvan & Sindar could have led to the adoption of standing armies modeled on those of their Sindar & Noldor cousins such as the army of Doriath which they would have seen during the events of the Silmarillion. By the time of the War of the Ring, the Elves of Mirkwood would have been more aggressive and knowledgeable in the art of war. During the Battle of Five Armies, the elves had many spearmen & swordsmen, with the Mirkwood elves already veterans of battles against enemies such as orc tribes, evil giant spiders and the other monsters of Sauron let loose in Mirkwood. the scant decriptions of their tactics also show a strong delineation between the roles played by the missile troops and the spear and sword armed elves. MiniArt's set produces a good mix of figures that can represent these armored elven warriors, unarmored or lightly armed rangers and bowmen.

Comments

  1. I would go with Normans for the Elves. The teardrop shields seem appropriate to elves, and no beards!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. I'm actually leaning towards the Normans as the Noldor and Late Romans as Sindar...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, quite impressed by this. But I think there is a better plastic 1/72 for use as a wood elf from Mirkwood requiring no conversion. It's the Airfix Robin Hood set, which contains several hooded running bowmen (perfect). They totally look like elves. Happy to send you photos if you post me your email. Mine is j.stringerATclearDOTnetDOTnz

    The good thing is, the balance of the box set - stave, sword, axe -(Robin, Friar Tuck, Marian deleted) make excellent LotRings orc conversions, my best orcs actually.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

1/72 Numidians

I've been nursing a bum foot since Sunday and worked on these during the afternoons. While casually surfing for horse references, I discovered a new, exciting and tremendously complex thing -- Equine Color!  Ever since I was given a book written by Sheperd Paine with a chapter on horses, I was intrigued. Only when I attempted to do research on the Numidian horsemen & their mounts did I realize how complex horse color is. Presented here are a few work-in-progress pictures. I still have a lot of touchups to do as well as texturing the bases and flocking until I can call this done. But for idly playing with them while making moronic hoofbeat sounds, they pretty much suffice. I'm pretty happy about the way the greys and the bays turned out but I'm still at a loss how to do really red chestnuts. Among the pictures, you'll find a sample of a really badly-done attempt at a chestnut with a really red coat & mane.  I may post an article here soon about the information I

WIP 1:72 Uruk-hai Pikemen

Painting up the Fighting Uruk-hai armed with pikes and fighting in phalanx formation. 1:72 Dark Alliance half-orcs.

Major General Tremorden Rederring's Colonial-era Wargames Page

A bit of nostalgia here. I'm gearing up for a weekend of working on my wargame table and was surfing for inspiration. Happily, I rediscovered Major General Tremorden Rederring's Colonial-era Wargames at the Wayback Machine. This wargaming group's been a source of inspiration ever since I discovered the wonderful world of miniature wargaming. Just look at that picture above and tell me you're not impressed. WOW! was all I could think off when I saw it. The page has since given its last huzzah and I don't know what's become of the group, but I'm sure I'll be rereading the material they still have archived. A veritable treasure chest of miniature gaming gems, the page embodied the FUN side of miniature gaming, neither taking itself too seriously nor scrimping on the joys of the hobby and its subsidiary hobbies/crafts. It's a pity if such a wonderful resource and such a huge contribution to the hobby is lost. I discovered the page waaaay back