Skip to main content

HotT Army of Horrors

Mage Knight as a game never really appealed to me but I managed to hoard a sizeable amount of figures, sometime through a few direct purchases -- the blind box format never really made sense to me -- and, more recently, through trade and sale on the secondary market. I've been repainting and rebasing these Mage Knight figures for use in Hordes of the Things and here's a new list I've come up with. You can click the pictures for bigger versions.

The bulk of the army is made of warbands, featuring repainted MK Spine Suckers and Shadows.


Hordes of the things

Hordes of the things

I enjoyed repainting these and I opted for a more "bird-like" look for the Spine suckers and a "wet" and slime-ish look for the Shadows. Two stands of each type will be fielded.


hordes of the things,fantasy,28mm

hordes of the things,fantasy,28mm

hordes of the things,fantasy,28mm

hordes of the things,fantasy,28mm

Two stands of ethereal-looking minis -- MK Solonavi drones and channelers -- get wrangled up as 2 blade elements. These are mounted floating on the bases but aren't considered flyers.


Hordes of the things

hordes of the things,fantasy,28mm

hordes of the things,fantasy,28mm


A hero element is represented by a World of Warcraft (WoW) mini as a demonic warrior hero. The mini's original weapon was replaced with a more visually appealing one taken from a toy set.


Hordes of the things

hordes of the things,fantasy,28mm
Another WoW demon gets drafted as a Behemoth general. The original mini had some stuff shaved off and new weapons -- again, more visually apt ones were selected-- were installed.

Hordes of the things

I'll be adding some flyer elements as soon as I can decided which MK figures to use. The bases shown here have been treated with ground work but I've yet to add grass and other bits. I'm holding off till I get the flyers ready to preserve the uniformity of the bases' look.


In summary, the army will have the following composition:



army list

Comments

  1. Nice job. I have a Fire Giant army made from D&D prepainted minis myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi Desert Scribe! Your army is actually one of the Hott armies using prepainted minis I had as inspiration:) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad my army inspired you, and I hope you have fun with your army. I would be happy to play against it, if you ever find yourself in the San Antonio area.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Those spine suckers look really good. Did the "beaks" use to be their tongues?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks! I'm not sure about the beaks. I imagine the mostr burst from the insides of a host human with the corpse' skeleton serving as its exoskeleton but with bits of the monster sticking out:)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

1/72 Numidians

I've been nursing a bum foot since Sunday and worked on these during the afternoons. While casually surfing for horse references, I discovered a new, exciting and tremendously complex thing -- Equine Color!  Ever since I was given a book written by Sheperd Paine with a chapter on horses, I was intrigued. Only when I attempted to do research on the Numidian horsemen & their mounts did I realize how complex horse color is. Presented here are a few work-in-progress pictures. I still have a lot of touchups to do as well as texturing the bases and flocking until I can call this done. But for idly playing with them while making moronic hoofbeat sounds, they pretty much suffice. I'm pretty happy about the way the greys and the bays turned out but I'm still at a loss how to do really red chestnuts. Among the pictures, you'll find a sample of a really badly-done attempt at a chestnut with a really red coat & mane.  I may post an article here soon about the information I

WIP 1:72 Uruk-hai Pikemen

Painting up the Fighting Uruk-hai armed with pikes and fighting in phalanx formation. 1:72 Dark Alliance half-orcs.

Major General Tremorden Rederring's Colonial-era Wargames Page

A bit of nostalgia here. I'm gearing up for a weekend of working on my wargame table and was surfing for inspiration. Happily, I rediscovered Major General Tremorden Rederring's Colonial-era Wargames at the Wayback Machine. This wargaming group's been a source of inspiration ever since I discovered the wonderful world of miniature wargaming. Just look at that picture above and tell me you're not impressed. WOW! was all I could think off when I saw it. The page has since given its last huzzah and I don't know what's become of the group, but I'm sure I'll be rereading the material they still have archived. A veritable treasure chest of miniature gaming gems, the page embodied the FUN side of miniature gaming, neither taking itself too seriously nor scrimping on the joys of the hobby and its subsidiary hobbies/crafts. It's a pity if such a wonderful resource and such a huge contribution to the hobby is lost. I discovered the page waaaay back